Walking the Labyrinth
The Labyrinth is an archetype, a divine imprint, found in all religious traditions in various forms around the world. It is composed of “sacred geometry” based on ancient knowledge expressed in architectural form. The labyrinth is a long-forgotten tradition of prayer and meditation that is over 4000 years old. When you walk the labyrinth, you are stepping onto sacred space and sacred time.
The labyrinth is unicursal, with only one path leading to the center and back out again. Unlike the maze, there are no tricks, dead ends, or intersecting paths. The labyrinth path guides your walk, allowing your mind to become quiet, becoming free to receive your guidance.
Walking this path may enable you to experience peace, listen to inner wisdom, reflect on where you are in your life, release your fears and touch your joys. You are invited to open your heart, mind and soul.
There are 3 stages in walking the labyrinth:
- Purgation: the walk from the entrance to the center. This is the time to allow releasing, to let go of the details of your life. This is a shedding of your thoughts and emotions. It quiets and empties the mind as you walk into the labyrinth.
- Illumination: may occur as your reach the center. Stay there as long as you like. It is a place of meditation and prayer. Allow yourself to receive your message.
- Union: begins as you leave the center. You are joining God, your Higher Power or the healing force of the Universe. Each time you walk the path out of the labyrinth, you become more empowered and grounded. It energizes your insight.
Guidelines for the walk:
- Take a moment to center, clear your mind and become aware of your breath.
- Pause at the entry, becoming fully conscious of stepping into the labyrinth with sacred intention. Allow your body to find its own pace. Be present.
- If there is someone in the labyrinth, allow them to advance several turns before you begin.
- The path is two-way, and you may meet others going in or coming out.
- Try not to step out of your pathway as you pass another, or you may lose your place.
- You may choose to have eye contact or not, whichever feels natural at the time.
- There is no right or wrong way to walk the labyrinth.
- Every walk will be a unique experience.
Welcome to the Labyrinth of the Unity Center for Conscious Living!
May this spiritual tool help you express the Divinity within.
We invite you to return again!
Unity of Fayetteville 4880 W Wedington Drive 479.442.0680